Sustainable yield for dairy farmers
The objectives of the Sustainable Dairy Chain are feasible, provided that dairy farmers have the means to actually achieve them. This calls for a business model.
This can be higher proceeds and/or lower costs and/or more room to develop. Here think, for instance, of rewarding for biodiversity through the Biodiversiteitsmonitor [Biodiversity Monitor] by several parties. Extended longevity of the cows and less loss of minerals to soil or air can bring the farmer savings. Room to develop can, for example, be actualised by longer lease agreements in case of a good sustainability performance.
In this chain partners, stakeholders and governments have the responsibility to actively make a contribution to business models.
The Sustainable Dairy Chain stands for making the entire dairy farming sector more sustainable. Therefore the business models must be suitable for large groups of dairy farmers and not be restricted to dairy farms serving the niche markets.
Show possible business models for dairy farmers by means of:
- Higher proceeds and/or
- Lower costs and/or
- More room for development and/or use
NB Results compared to sector objectives 2030 are not available yet.
Method of working
- The various business models (higher proceeds, lower costs and/or more room for development) will be made concrete and quantified in more detail. The findings of the Task Force Verdienmodellen [Task Force Business Models] set up by the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality will be included in this.
- All chain partners and stakeholders are responsible for achieving the objectives of the Sustainable Dairy Chain. All these parties should contribute to the business models.
- In connection with the climate, the business model for dairy farmers in case of positive climate-related performance was detailed in the plan Klimaatverantwoorde zuivelsector in Nederland [Climate-sensible dairy sector in the Netherlands]. Following this, it will be studied for other themes which business models are possible and which parties can contribute to this. Here think of rewarding efforts in connection with biodiversity by means of the Biodiversiteitsmonitor Melkveehouderij [Biodiversity Monitor Dairy Farming]. Another example is extended longevity of the cows or less loss of minerals to soil or air: these can bring the dairy farmer savings. Room for development can, for instance, be actualised in awarding permits in case of a good sustainability performance.
- In the public-private cooperation Sustainable Dairy Chain also attention will be paid to business models. The Sustainable Dairy Chain does not develop market concepts in the areas of sustainability, this is the task of dairy farmers and dairy companies.